September 5, 2011

Nom Nom Nom

     Just call me Cookie Monster!
     So I have this friend who makes cookies. They aren't just any old cookies either. Scott makes the most freakin' fantastic gluten free cookies I have ever ingested. And I have tried just about every one that didn't have some other ingredient besides the absent gluten to which my body might object. In the beginning his just tasted like they were made with high end ingredients, (although after a certain amount of butter goes in, I think any recipe looses the ability to claim the healthy label). They were tasty, decidedly un-cardboard like, and not noticeably gluten free. But then he perfected his recipe... voodoo, the people equivalent of catnip, perhaps more butter than physics normally lets reside in a cookie? Whatever he's done, the result is now a cookie so perfectly desirable that even my cat would hamstring you for one.
     Even the most snooty, expensive bakery cookies no longer tempt me into gluten laden doom. I see their warm, chip studded tops and I point my stubby nose up thinking, "hump, you are sooo not Scott's Cookies!"

     So I know you're thinking, seriously what makes these so good? And honestly, being that a cookie is one of the things that has always defeated me in the kitchen, I cannot tell you. Scott claims that it's a simple chocolate chip cookie recipe made with gluten free flour and a 50/50 butter blend, (slightly less than the recipe calls for).  I think using a wand to stir the batter must make some difference, but again, I've never successfully baked a cookie. There are still GF foods on my list of things to try in my kitchen. But not this cookie, I'll be leaving that to the Master!
     Some accidents can be avoided... 

Gluten Free Flour Blend 
(3 cup batch, can be used 1 to 1 as a flour replacement in baking)
1/2 cup Garbanzo Flour
1/2 cup Sorghum Flour
1 cup Tapioca Starch
1 cup Corn or Potato Starch

2 Tbsp xanthan gum 
*Gluten free Gourmet Bakes Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment

You've heard my opinion, now I'd love to hear yours!